Mexican Meatball Subs
Give your next meatball sub some south-of-the-border flair.
PREP — 20 Minutes COOK — 15 Minutes
TOTAL — 35 Minutes SERVINGS — 4
• 1 pound meatloaf mix ( ground beef, pork and veal)
• 1/4 cup of finely crushed tortilla chips
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus 3 sprigs
• 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions, plus more for garnish (optional)
• 3 cloves garlic; 1 minced, 2 mashed
• 3 teaspoons Schultz’s Seasoning & Rub
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 cups canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes
• 4 crusty sub rolls, halved and split
• Diced avocado and crumbled Mexican cheese, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the meat, tortilla chips, egg, chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup scallions, minced garlic, 1 teaspoon Schultz’s Seasoning & Rub, 1 teaspoon cumin in a bowl. Roll into 16 small meatballs.
2. Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs and lightly brown, turning as needed, about 5 minutes. Add the smashed garlic and the remaining 2 teaspoons Schultz’s Seasoning & Rub and 1 teaspoon cumin; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cilantro sprigs, 1 tablespoon Schultz’s Spicy Original or Green Chili Lime, and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a simmer, then cover, reduce the heat to low and cook until the sauce thickens and the meatballs are tender, about 15 minutes.
3. About 5 minutes before the meatballs are done, toast the rolls in the oven. Place 2 roll halves in each of 4 shallow bowls and top with 4 meatballs. Drizzle with sauce, then pour the remaining sauce into the bowls. Top with avocado, cheese and/or scallions, if desired.
REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
Here at Schultz’s, we’re making your family meals easier, healthier and tastier.
Our family’s sauces, seasonings and snacks work perfectly in recipes to enhance flavor rather than replace it. With food you’ll find in your own kitchen, we only include the highest quality REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS. We’re proud to use family recipes that have been passed down for THREE GENERATIONS and are unlike anything you’ve ever tasted.
GET OUR NEWSLETTER:
Delicious Deals, Distribution Updates & More