Fried Chicken Sandwich with Spicy Mayo and Slaw
Say hello to the only fried chicken sandwich recipe you’ll ever need.
PREP — 30 Minutes COOK — 15 Minutes
TOTAL — 45 Minutes SERVINGS —4
• 1 clove garlic, grated
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon Schultz’s Sweet Heat Cooking Sauce
• 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
• 4 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup bread-and-butter pickles, plus 1/4 cup pickle juice
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon Schultz’s Gourmet Seasoning & Rub
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 2 8oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved crosswise
• Peanut oil or vegetable oil (for frying)
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 4 buns or sandwich rolls of choice
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (for spreading)
• Bib lettuce (optional)
1. Mix garlic, mayonnaise, and Schultz’s Gourmet Sweet Heat Cooking Sauce in a small bowl; chill
2. Combine onions, jalapeño, cabbage, pickles and pickle juice in a small bowl; chill.
3. Whisk flour, pepper, salt and Schultz’s Gourmet Seasoning & Rub in a large shallow bowl. Pour buttermilk into a separate bowl.
4. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, shake off excess mixture. Dip in buttermilk, allow excess buttermilk to drip off. Dredge again in flour mixture, and shake off any excess mixture.
5. Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to a depth of 1/2-inch. Heat over medium heat until hot. If you have a fry oil or meat thermometer, the temperature should read between 350° and 400°.
6. Carefully place chicken in oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Be sure to work in batches so the skillet does not become overcrowded.
7. After frying allow chicken to cool on wire rack, season with additional salt if desired.
8. Cut buns (or rolls) in half and spread with butter. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Toast buns buttered side down until lightly browned and crisp..
9. Assemble- Spread buns with spicy mayo, add a layer of lettuce, the fried chicken, Schultz’s Gourmet Sweat Heat Cooking Sauce (to taste), and top with cabbage slaw. Enjoy!
REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
Here at Schultz’s, we’re making your family meals easier, healthier and tastier.
Our family’s sauces, seasonings and snacks work perfectly in recipes to enhance flavor rather than replace it. With food you’ll find in your own kitchen, we only include the highest quality REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS. We’re proud to use family recipes that have been passed down for THREE GENERATIONS and are unlike anything you’ve ever tasted.
GET OUR NEWSLETTER:
Delicious Deals, Distribution Updates & More