Cornbread Topped Roasted Vegetable Chili
Cornbread baked on top of chili? Yeah, that’s a thing!
PREP — 35 Minutes COOK — 25 Minutes
TOTAL — 1 hour SERVINGS — 4
• 1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
• 1 Poblano Chile Pepper, seeded & diced
• 4 scallions, roughly chopped, plus more for topping
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 tablespoon Schultz’s Seasoning & Rub
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• Sea Salt
• 3/4 cup of cornmeal
• 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons of baking powder
• 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
• 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
• 2/3 cup of cold buttermilk
• 2/3 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• One 15oz can of black beans, undrained
• 3 tablespoons of Schultz’s Chipotle Cooking Sauce
• One 8oz can of Tomato Sauce
• 1 1/4 cups of fire-roasted corn (frozen & thawed, or in a can)
• 1 1/2 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth
1. Preheat the broiler. Toss the cauliflower, poblano and scallions with the vegetable oil, Schultz’s Seasoning and cumin on a rimmed baking sheet; spread in a single layer. Broil until the vegetables are browned around the edges, 7 to 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the biscuits: Whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, brown sugar and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Work the butter into the cornmeal mixture with your fingers until crumbly. Stir in the buttermilk and 1/3 cup cheese with a fork until combined.
3. Remove the baking sheet from the broiler and preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Add the beans and their liquid, Schultz’s Chipotle Cooking Sauce, the tomato sauce, corn, vegetable broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the roasted vegetables and gently stir. Spoon the biscuit dough on top in 12 mounds, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Sprinkle the biscuits with the remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
4. Bake until the chili starts bubbling and the biscuits are golden and cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with scallions.
REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
Here at Schultz’s, we’re making your family meals easier, healthier and tastier.
Our family’s sauces, seasonings and snacks work perfectly in recipes to enhance flavor rather than replace it. With food you’ll find in your own kitchen, we only include the highest quality REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS. We’re proud to use family recipes that have been passed down for THREE GENERATIONS and are unlike anything you’ve ever tasted.
GET OUR NEWSLETTER:
Delicious Deals, Distribution Updates & More